Monday, April 27, 2009

Epidemic

Coming off the subway Friday morning, I was greeted by the man who passes out a.m. New York. (I don't know what has happened to the guy who was passing out Metro.) A story on page 2 reports on a new book, The Narcissism Epidemic. The authors' study of our society concludes that Americans and Japanese, in particular, have become extremely self-obsessed.
I'm inclined to agree. I've resisted joining social networks. My wife is on Facebook, but I was never really all that interested. The little bit I know about Twitter, is a bit disconcerting to me as well. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't tweeting serve to inform your "circle" of what you're doing? C'mon, is what I had for lunch really that important that I need to share it?
To me, the implications go beyond a question just regarding societal issues and venture into the spiritual. I think if society is ever really going to improve, we must look out for one another. Can I really do that well if I'm absorbed about me? I still cringe at the memory of those shirts, backpacks, etc. with the little bunny that said, "It's all about me!" No, it isn't! It's about you and me and everyone else. It's about the man who passes out a.m. New York at the subway station. It's about the woman who's riding that subway because she doesn't have a place to stay and is afraid to go to a shelter. It's about my daughter who is learning new words. It's about my pastors as they try to help our congregation know God better. I'm part of it, but it's not all about me.
Oy! Could we use another John Donne!
Peace and blessings, or as Tiny Tim said in A Christmas Carol: "And God bless us all, everyone!" Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment