Wednesday, August 5, 2009

agency restructuring

Well, I have dodged a bullet for awhile, anyway. The agency I've worked for for almost two years has downsized. My position was merged with another, and I was named to it. Still, it's on an interim basis until the board of directors makes it permanent in October. At that point, I'll have to reapply for it.

More than 40 of my colleagues either opted for early retirement and were fired. To add insult to injury, the official release referred to the actions as "right-sizing." At the very least, those in charge could have shown the decency and respect for those whose lives have just been disrupted in an extreme was not to trivialize what's going on by using cutesy expressions.

My wife suggested that I have a bit of "survivors' guilt." I think she's right. I am extremely grateful to still be working. Nevertheless, I can hardly imagine what some of these people are going through. Some of them have children in school. How will they pay their bills? I hurt for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment