Monday, July 13, 2009

Manhattanhenge


Wow! I knew it had been awhile since I added anything to this blog, but I didn't realize it had been over a month. (More on that soon - with descriptions of a wedding in the South, agency restructuring, and a lot of stress!)

A good neighbor is moving from our apartment building. I really hate to see him go, but I'm inclined to think it's best for him. He's gone through a lot of crap this year, and while I think NYC is a fantastic place for new beginnings, its support systems can fall short. In our building, I'd say that most people are friendly, but they aren't particularly sociable. So, he's heading out to Colorado, where he has family.

After helping schlepp some boxes down for him yesterday, I rinsed off to try to catch a twice-annual solar phenomenon called "Manhattanhenge." With its grid system and tall buildings, as well as its western border of the Hudson River, two time each year, the setting sun is perfectly aligned with the east-west streets on Manhattan. The skyscrapers make a precise frame.

Since the best views of this are on the east side, I thought I'd make better time by transferring to the #4 at Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately, instead of running express, the train made all local stops, and by the time I got out at Grand Central, the sun was almost completely set. I was only able to see the top rim of the setting sun, but it was still cool. The weather was gorgeous, and I walked over to Bryant Park before returning home.

Oh well, I'll try again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment