Thursday, July 16, 2009

MTA - Bus Style

I've shared with you a few experiences about the subway, but a lot of commuting takes place on the bus as well. This morning was a bit muggy, so I didn't feel like walking the 3/4 mile from the subway station to the office. (My co-workers appreciate that as well.)

The quickest bus for me to take is the M60. If you've ever flown into or out NYC through LaGuardia Airport, you may have taken the M60. Cheaper than a taxi, though not quite as adventuresome. I usually skip it, though, and take the M104. the M104 takes a little longer but is never as crowded.

This morning, as I came out of the subway station at 125th and St. Nicholas, there was the M60. I was just able to squeeze on. The annoying thing is that there were empty seats in the back. People just bunch up and won't move back. Some drivers won't move the bus until they do - with absolute reluctance and a bunch of complaints.

I can't believe this is what Rosa Parks had in mind.

I'm built like a football player, albeit an out-of-shape football player. I just start moving back, saying, "Excuse me, excuse me..." I get some glares and a few mutters, but once I get about halfway back, it's easy to walk. Even if there aren't any seats towards the back, it's easier to hold onto the pole.

There is one rule of etiquette that is much better observed on buses instead of subways, though. The unwritten rule for both is to let exiting commuters get off first before boarding. That's a joke on the subway, but it's pretty much followed on the bus. If for no other reason, the driver will tell people, "Let 'em off, let 'em off!"

1 comment:

  1. Haven't taken the bus out of LaGuardia, but sure have taken plenty of taxi rides into midtown. Nothing the thrill and sometimes sheer terror of riding with some guy hell bent on getting you to your destination at breakneck speed, especially when you can't buckle your seat belt.

    ReplyDelete