Wednesday, May 13, 2009

lodge night


Tonight, I'll make a visit to another NYC lodge.  Mariners Lodge #67 meets on the eighth floor of the Grand Lodge of NY.  That Grand Lodge is one of the most impressive Masonic structures I've ever seen - surpassed only by the George Washington National Masonic Memorial and the House of the Temple of the Scottish Rite, in Washington, DC.  GLoNY underwent a huge restoration beginning back in the 80's, and I'm grateful to the brothers whose dedication has offered such an architectural treasure to us.

Lodge is interesting.  I've noted a few differences between the lodges up here and those back in NC.  Public impression of Masonry is even more interesting.  The ludicrous rantings of some of the fundamentalists are downright laughable.  And, no disrespect, but the perceived self-importance of some of the brethren is equally funny.

The reception I received at Washington Lodge was fair.  The brethren at Shakespeare Lodge were warmer.  One of the fellas I met that night is a member of Mariners 67.  That's one of the cool things about lodge in The City:  there are soooooooooo many, compared to my choices before.  

"On the level"...

No comments:

Post a Comment