Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


Growing up in the South, I never knew that much about Memorial Day. School wasn't closed, and it really wasn't talked about that much. Once, I asked my mom about it, and she said, "Most folks think of Memorial Day as a Northern holiday."

It's moderated a bit down there, but I've had the chance to see more of differing perspectives about this holiday.

My dad served in the Marines for over two decades. He fought in Korea and VietNam. Most of that was before I was born, so I don't have much memory of being a Marine kid; although he did carry a lot of Leatherneck philosophy regarding discipline with him even after retiring!

Memorial Day, to me, is thinking about men and women who have made sacrifice, but especially about my dad. It bothers me some that my daughter will never know my dad. I often show her photos of him, but it's not the same.

My wife is working today, but I'm off and taking my daughter to a Memorial Day parade. I want her to know that sacrifice is important.

Peace to us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment