Saturday, May 30, 2009

NYC misconceptions

Last December, we went to see family and friends in the South. At one gathering, one of my nephews said something that irritated me. He was talking to my oldest brother and was recounting a trip his family made to The City when he was maybe 7. He said, "You know, typical New York attitude..."

I don't know that he's been back to NYC since then. If there's one thing I can attest to, there are few things in the Big Apple or among New Yorkers that are "typical."

Here's the beginning of a list of misconceptions about NYC and the reality...

Misconception: It's easy to get lost in New York.
Reality: If you're below 14th Street in Manhattan or almost anywhere in one of the Outer Boroughs, that's mostly true. Above 14th St in Mannyhatty, though, is mostly one big grid. Just look for the Empire State Building to get your bearings. Everyone else does.

Misconception: You'll get robbed in New York.
Reality: FBI stats show less crime, per capita, in NYC than in the town I left or the town where my sister lives now. Even with the tougher economic situation, NYC crime stats are down. Keep your wallet in your front pocket and be aware.

Misconception: New Yorkers are rude.
Reality: Some are, but most New Yorkers aren't rude. They're in a hurry. Do NOT stop in the middle of the sidewalk.

Misconception: If you stand near the edge of the subway platform, someone will push you onto the tracks. (My oldest brother's wife really believes this.)
Reality: Are you kidding me? That would delay the subway service. Everyone else would kill the person who pushed you onto the tracks.

Misconception: New Yorkers are in a hurry.
Reality: True, unless you're one of those fat arses who insist on walking in front of me at the subway station and take 15 minutes to climb or descend one flight of stairs and make me miss my train AAARRRRGGGGHH!, OR jibber jabber with two or three of your fat-arsed friends side by side on the sidewalk.

More to come...

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your comment about New Yorkers being in a hurry. It's the tourists that frustrate the hell out of me when I'm trying to walk from Penn Station to my office up on 6th Ave. I just want to walk, and they want to linger, block the sidewalk, and take pictures of everything.

    ReplyDelete